My First Summer Learning Activity!

Today I started the summer learning activity, the first activity was; poetry slam. I learnt the 4 parts of the poetry slam, they were creation, performance, kinda competition, and audience. The first part is creation, creation is making your poem next is performance which is when you like to perform it in front of people and then we have kind of competition, kind of because how we are away from each other. After that the last one is the audience, audience is where you go to other peoples blogs and comment them.

The first activity kick start, where you can check out some samples of performed poems. I checked out the first one was by Rob Auton, I think what inspired him was nature and the season autumn because in the video how he was emotional and sad because of the leafs falling and Rob got sad. It showed that ha has been taking care of the tree. The performance was kinda like a trailer for a movie.

The difference from writing the poem down is that when you perform it is like you show more emotion and you have the picture, you have whats the weather like a you can clearly tell the season the time and what hes doing other than guessing and you can get more information.

The next thing I had to do was; make a copy of the slides and I had to create a resource bank of the things that could inspire us for our summer poems for the poetry slam. My Favourite part of this activity could be writing the poems, because I get to write something freely and just think all sorts,  Maybe you can write a poem that rimes or just write what you really know about summer. Just write what you know best in summer like the beach and the park.

2 thoughts on “My First Summer Learning Activity!

1. Kei te pai Nika! What a great way to kick off your Summer Learning Journey. I can tell by what you have written and shared in your presentation that you took time to understand what this task has asked of you. I really enjoyed reading your poems, they certainly had me thinking and feeling like I was as the beach. Your second poem created some great images AND smells! Which part did you enjoy the most in this task? Keep up the good work!

2. Kia ora Nika

What a fabulous activity to begin your Summer Learning Journey!

I really like how you have thoughtfully described the task and have used the slides to plan your ideas. Like you, I also like to write to express feelings and ideas, and to use words in interesting ways. I especially like your poem on slide 8 because it captures the essence of summer sounds. Your use of repetition is very purposeful to emphasise the atmosphere of children playing in the water and the bird life.

Keep up the fabulous work! I hope that you plan to continue writing poetry through the future Poetry Slam activities.

Nga mihi,
    Naomi Rosedale
    (Manaiakalani Facilitator)